Last year TMO debuted our first Data Pack series, focusing on the China Health Supplements market. It’s been a great success, covering key data like China’s best-selling supplements each month! (In case you missed it, here’s our wrap-up of the China Health Supplements market in 2020). Building on that success, we’re continuing to launch new Data Packs for this market every month, and this blog acts as a one-stop hub for each new release. Check back here each month for the latest update. And in the meantime, check out some of the highlights of those we’ve released already below!
After the heady heights of the June 18th (6-18) shopping festival, one of the biggest shopping days in the Chinese calendar, sales in the health supplement market unsurprisingly took a dip in July. However, sales recovered nicely in August. This can at least be some extent be put down to two other big days in the Chinese shopping calendar occuring in the month – T Mall Global’s 8.8 and Chinese Valentine’s Day.
Key takeaways from August:
- The overall sales revenue of the Health supplement sector saw a recovery in August, after a dip in July following the June 18 shopping festival. With two other big shopping days in the month, it is actually second in the year in terms of sales so far in 2021 (behind June).
- Looking at the top 5 best-selling products for this month, one nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) product, (anti-aging supplement) remained on the list (from July), as well as a weight management product, and a ‘thistle’ liver protection product. However, there are two new entrants. These are related to reproductive health supplements.
- A female reproductive health supplement takes second on the list, and fourth ranked is a male fertility supplement. Also, these two products were actually the two fastest-growing products in the health supplements market for August. Of course, it remains to be seen if this is the start of a trend or not.
- Swisse, a brand focusing on vitamins and supplements, was the best-selling brand in August. Biowell, a brand focused on anti-aging and beauty products, was the second best-selling brand. This is after they were first and third most popular in July respectively.
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for August!
After the craziness of the June 18th shopping festival, one of the biggest shopping days of the year in China, it should come as no surprise that July saw a drop in sales. Nevertheless, sales in the health supplements market remain strong. Compared to data before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is clear that there is a trend towards Chinese consumers spending more on products promoting their health and wellbeing.
Key takeaways from July:
- Anti-aging products are the top 3 best sellers (ranked by sales revenue) among all products, among which 2 products contain NAD+precursor/ NMN ingredients.
- NMN, an anti-aging supplement, was again the biggest-selling product, having also been in June.
- Charrier immunity and refreshing spray (from France) is the fastest-growing product with regards to sales volume. Its number of sales( 41,612) is about twice that of the second-fastest-growing item( 20,390).
- Biowell is the most noteworthy brand in July. It achieved the third top sales revenue(27110238.8 RMB), only slightly behind the famous Australian brand Blackmore(27817247.79 RMB). At the same time, two Biowell products entered the top 5 selling products ranking both in June and July. One possible reason for its excellent business performance is the increasing prevalence in the Chinese market of anti-aging and beauty supplements, which are the main products of Biowell.
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for July!
June 18th (6-18) marks one of the biggest days in the Chinese shopping calendar. The COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 saw a surge in people taking care of themselves better, and as such, a boost in the health supplements market. The strong performance of products in this market has continued into 2021. In fact, compared to last year’s 6-18, we have noticed a recovery in purchasing power, with sales volumes around 2.5 times higher.
Key takeaways from June:
- Protein powder/amino acid/collagen was the biggest selling sub-category for June
- NMN, an anti-aging supplement, was the biggest-selling product
- Calcium and Vitamin D products are growing in popularity, taking up 2 of the top 5 fastest-growing products list
- In the protein powder/amino acid/collagen top 5 selling products, the sleeping aid melatonin took up 3 of the spots
- The most-searched-for keywords (translated) were ‘stay up late’, ‘liver protection’, and ‘regulate the stomach’
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for June!
As vaccinations were being implemented among citizens, we witnessed a rising need for products that enhance social interactivity. For example, breath freshener products experienced the most significant increase in May. There has been healthy growth even when special sales promotions aren’t so common, and the Chinese customers have demonstrated interest in pricier subcategories.
Key takeaways from May:
- Vitamins/Minerals became the most popular sub-category in May
- Charrier Breath Fresheners were both the best-selling and fastest-growing products
- Regulating intestinal flora turned out to be the most important effect that customers were looking for
- Tablet and capsule remained the top two popular health supplements’ forms
- Portable-package products tended to sell better in May
- The exact amount of CFUs (Colony Forming Units) in probiotic products attracted increasing attention among customers
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for May!
April kept up the strong sales we saw in March to continue a Spring sales resurgence after a slower Winter season. We saw a moderate increase in sales volume accompanying a moderate decrease in sales revenue. This suggests a mix of companies making use of discounts and sales, and consumers opting for cheaper products.
Key takeaways from April:
- Other Plant Extracts became the most popular sub-category this month
- Calcium tablets and liver protection pills designed for reducing the harmful effects of staying up late were the top-selling product types
- Products promoted by popular female actresses tended to sell better in April
- Brightening skin color overtook regulating intestinal flora to become the most important product effect consumers were looking for
- US brand Priscilla Pleasant had a substantial increase in sales volume since April, while Vitafusion and Jameison saw notable decreases
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for April!
March is when the market for health supplements in China kicks back into gear, and this year was no exception. In fact, March shattered expectations as both sales volume and sales revenue came close to doubling February’s numbers!
Key takeaways from March:
- The winter slump is over, and now we can start getting some real insights into where consumer interest lies for 2021.
- Mushroom/microbial fermentation products took the top spot for market share in March, accounting for 22.1% of the Health Supplements market, followed by vitamins (15.7%) and other plant extracts (14.8%).
- Likely due to the recent crackdown on false advertisements for NMN, we didn’t see any such products in the top 5 best-sellers this month, with vitamin products returning to the top spots.
- Meanwhile, Swisse increased its already substantial lead by almost doubling its revenue from over 74 million RMB to more than 143 million RMB.
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for March!
The month of Chinese New Year is typically the off-season for the China Health Supplements market. Consumers are spending more on travel (though less so following the pandemic) and less on stocking up on such products. Therefore, in line with previous years, we saw sales gently decrease from January.
We also saw the effects of false advertisement regulations being enforced in the China Health Supplements market. Late 2020’s rising star, NMN (Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) products, felt the brunt of this, particularly higher-priced examples. Companies were marketing such products as anti-aging, which is fine by itself. Problems arose when some of them made claims that were ultimately considered false advertising.
The month’s biggest market share losses came from Dietary Fiber/Carbohydrates (which shrunk back to below December’s levels after a surge in January), Other Dietary supplements, and Other Seafood extracts.
In more positive news, we can see the start of a rise in body-shaping and slimming product sales. This is likely in anticipation of summer, when consumers want to look their best! In fact, February saw a big surge in the market share of Beauty Supplements in general. The category went from under 10% in January to almost 23% in February. This came alongside the share of Probiotics almost doubling, too.
Below are China’s best-selling supplements for February. Some NMN/NAD+ anti-aging products remain strong sellers, but Japanese enzyme products have surged to take three top spots too!
Key takeaways from February:
- Beauty supplements overtook vitamins to claim the largest market share in February, accounting for 22.89% of the Health Supplements market, followed by vitamins (16.42%) and other plant extracts (15.66%).
- Although the best-seller is a Canadian NMN product, this Health Supplements category is no longer as popular as in previous months. This is partially due to the crackdown on false advertisements for NMN, using phrases like “Eternal Youth”.
- Instead, Japanese enzymes became popular again, used for slimming and body-shaping. As with Christmas in the West, most people enjoyed grand feasts over the Chinese New Year. So people often start to look for different ways to lose weight around this time of year!
- Australian and US brands continue to dominate the overseas Health Supplement market in China. Nevertheless, because of the popularity of the enzymes category, Japanese brand ISDG took second place in terms of sales volume in February.
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for February!
January typically kicks off the year quietly in Health Supplements sales. This follows the dizzying highs of November’s Double-Eleven sales and the lesser but increasingly important Double-Twelve sales in December. In that respect, this year is no different. Nonetheless, January 2021 surpassed January 2020’s figures by a significant margin, breaking 1 billion RMB in sales revenue – a new high for the first month of a year.
January saw small market share losses in most of the top categories, as sales of Mushroom/microbial fermentation and Other Dietary supplements grew significantly. The former seems to be part of an ongoing trend of growth in that category, while the latter may be a seasonal or temporary surge.
Below are China’s best-selling supplements for January. It was another strong month for NMN/NAD+ anti-aging products, but one product from the Probiotic category managed to top them all!
Key takeaways from January:
- Vitamins/Minerals kept hold of the top spot in market share. This is despite a trend of gradually shrinking which might see Other Plant extracts match its share soon.
- The month’s best-selling product is something of an anomaly! Lacto-Fit’s Probiotic product was such a huge success that it beat all the popular NMN products to the top spot. This is most likely thanks to a steep discount in January to around half the listed price, at a time when other brands have ended their sales.
- This also had an effect on the month’s top brands. Lacto-Fit came in third despite offering far fewer SKUs than its competitors.
For a more detailed breakdown, go download our free China Health Supplements Market Data Pack for January!