China Health Supplements Market Data Pack -October 2023
Each month, TMO Group compiles data from Alibaba’s family of eCommerce platforms (including Taobao, Tmall, Tmall Global, and Tmall Supermarket) regarding sales of health supplements both domestically and across borders. This data is presented in a form that’s easier for English-speaking overseas companies and individuals to approach, with an array of charts and tables as well as translated terms.
In October 2023, the monthly sales of overseas food and supplements on Alibaba’s platforms soared by 40.42% to ¥1.88 billion compared to September. Sales volume hit 7.91 million, up by 24.74%. As a precursor to Double Eleven (Singles’ Day), consumers eagerly began stocking up.
Apart from normal sales, pre-sales is definitely a highlight of the month. Pre-sales for the month rose by 34.18% YoY, with revenue reaching ¥0.48 billion compared to Double Eleven in 2022. This indicates that there is a strong demand for health and wellness products, even in the current sluggish consumer market.
October 2023 Highlights
- Subcategories: Cardiovascular supplements led with over ¥0.44 billion in sales, capturing a 23.42% market share. Month-on-month sales rose by 70.83%, and year-on-year by 45.37%. Consumers focused more on supplements for chronic conditions and basic nutrition.
- Brands: The enthusiasm for deep-sea fish oil led to fierce competition among major brands. Omegor/Golden Caesar, Siwsse, GNC, and Blackmores were notable players in this market. Omegor/Golden Caesar, with its 95% high-purity deep-sea fish oil, secured the top spot in sales and ranked second in revenue. Siwsse’s DHA/EPA deep-sea fish oil soft capsules ranked third in sales with 45,678 units sold. Blackmores also entered the fish oil market, securing a spot in the fast-growing list. Brands like Ny-O3/Norwegian and WHC from Belgium made it to the top 10 in brand sales.
- Products: We observed that the top-ranked and third-ranked products on the fast-growing list are both focused on white kidney bean extract/fruit and vegetable dietary fiber. They were Wdcyh’s “American Imported Fast Keto Sugar-Free Bulletproof Replacement Meal Energy Supplement” and Mom’s Garden’s “Mom’s Garden Enzyme Aloe Vera Capsules.” Additionally, Dykam/Decam from Japan performed well with a product featuring white kidney bean extract, entering the top twenty in terms of revenue.
- For detailed information on pricing ranges for these brands, download our data report for the month. Stay tuned for TMO’s upcoming Double Eleven overseas food and supplement rankings and next month’s analysis!
Please download the report for free and find comprehensive information on product price ranges, popular product characteristics, top 10 cross-border stores, and more!
This data pack includes:
- Analysis of the month’s trends and biggest winners
- The month’s best-selling products
- Sub-category market share
- Market share by price range
- Most popular brands
- Brand price distribution
- Best-selling product characteristics
Who are these data packs intended for?
These data packs are designed to assist researchers, data analysts, product development professionals, business decision makers, and anyone involved in strategic planning at overseas health supplements companies, or entities and individuals interested in this area. By keeping up with each month’s shifts in sales and consumer behavior, such experts can get a more firm grip on the trends and shifting attitudes in China’s growing and increasingly competitive health supplements market.
For more information, download this month’s data pack today!
As well as our monthly data packs, we also put together a comprehensive guide to the health supplements industry in China, updated annually and available absolutely free right here.
Data upgrade notification:
Starting from the April 2023 monthly Datapack, TMO has optimized and adjusted the data collection methods used in the reports to provide readers with improved content. Readers will observe that the sales data in the data packs reflect a decrease compared to previous packs, albeit with the overall market landscape remaining unchanged. This is due to the enhanced accuracy of data collection, which improves the aggregation results in the following areas:
- Store Count: The store count is calculated based on actual sales-generating stores, excluding inactive or non-performing stores from the calculation.
- Product Count: The product count is determined by considering actual sales-generating products measured in terms of Standard Product Units (SPUs), excluding products that have not contributed to sales during the specified period.
- Sales Volume: The sales volume data has been refined by removing anomalous data points such as fake orders, while also excluding returns and refunds. This ensures that the monthly sales volume reflects a more accurate representation of the actual market situation.
- Sales Revenue: Due to adjustments in the calculation methodology for product count and sales volume, the monthly sales revenue data has noticeably decreased. TMO removes anomalous data points like fake orders and returns/refunds, resulting in more accurate sales revenue figures.
*Explanation of data deviations:
Although we utilize our own sophisticated and comprehensive algorithmic models for data analysis, it is important to note that there may still be some data deviations due to the nature of data collection and calculation dimensions. Here are a few factors that contribute to these deviations:
- Overall Collection Dimension: There may be instances where some stores are not yet included in the data collection process, resulting in partial store coverage.
- Accuracy of Sales Volume Dimension: Rapid delisting of certain products can result in missing relevant data, causing the sales volume to be slightly lower than the actual figures. Additionally, updates to public page data may introduce some delay, resulting in temporal discrepancies in the sales volume.
- Accuracy of Sales Revenue Dimension: Some information, such as store-specific member coupons or platform-wide discounts, may not be accessible through public pages. The calculation of prices for multiple SKUs related to promotional coupons can introduce variations, leading to deviations in the accuracy of sales revenue calculations.
Overall data accuracy ranges from 80% to 95%, with some brands or stores exhibiting larger variances.
Readers are advised to approach the data with caution and use it as a reference rather than an absolute measure.