China Health Supplements Market Data Pack - February 2023
Each month, TMO Group compiles data from Alibaba’s family of eCommerce platforms (including Taobao, Tmall, Tmall Global, and Tmall Supermarket) regarding sales of health supplements both domestically and across borders. This data is presented in a form that’s easier for English-speaking overseas companies and individuals to approach, with an array of charts and tables as well as translated terms.
February is the first month after the Spring Festival. After the Spring Festival, many people realize that the high-calorie and high-fat foods they consumed during the New Year period may have a negative impact on their health. Therefore, February is usually considered as a time to start a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, the last month of winter may affect the body’s immune system, making it even more necessary for people to take health measures. If you want to learn more about the overseas health product market, please download our February 2023 data pack.
February 2023 highlights
- In February, the overseas health product market sales reached 2.68 billion RMB, showing a rebound trend. Oral beauty products once again became the most popular category, with a market share of 17.4%. This indicates that the demand for beauty and health among consumers remains strong. In terms of product ingredients, products containing collagen and grape seed extract have a significant upward trend and are highly favored by consumers.
- Overseas digestive supplements are growing, with thistle products leading the market. By-health’s thistle liver protection tablets and Swisse’s milk thistle liver protection tablets were top sellers (in terms of the sales volume) in February, showing consumers’ high importance placed on liver health due to unhealthy habits of many people, such as staying up late to watch dramas and eating high-fat and high-oil diets.
- The overseas respiratory supplement market has expanded to include a new category of elderberry products. Previously, the market mainly consisted of products containing quercetin. Research suggests that elderberry has immune-boosting properties and may help alleviate respiratory symptoms such as colds and flu. Sambucol, a brand from Australia, is the main player in this category, with its product line primarily targeting families and children. The addition provides more options for consumers to maintain respiratory health, especially in the context of the post-pandemic.
- Affordable health products have become a popular choice for consumers, while the middle and high-end markets still have development potential. Most of the popular commodity unit prices are concentrated below 200 RMB, but the market sales for unit prices over a thousand RMB in this month were close to 700 million RMB, indicating that while affordable health products are popular, there is also an opportunity in the high-end market.
This data pack includes:
- Analysis of the month’s trends and biggest winners
- The month’s best-selling products
- Sub-category market share
- Market share by price range
- Most popular brands
- Brand price distribution
- Best-selling product characteristics
Who are these data packs intended for?
These data packs are designed to assist researchers, data analysts, product development professionals, business decision makers, and anyone involved in strategic planning at overseas health supplements companies, or entities and individuals interested in this area. By keeping up with each month’s shifts in sales and consumer behavior, such experts can get a more firm grip on the trends and shifting attitudes in China’s growing and increasingly competitive health supplements market.
For more information, download this month’s data pack today!
As well as our monthly data packs, we also put together a comprehensive guide to the health supplements industry in China, updated annually and available absolutely free right here.
Data upgrade notification:
In order to bring better content to readers, starting from the monthly Datapack in March 2022, TMO has optimized and adjusted the data collection methods used in the report. You will see that while the overall market structure remains unchanged, the sales data have increased to varying degrees compared with previous data packs. This is due to the higher frequency and larger volume of data collection, which effectively improves the aggregated results for the following fields:
- Stores：Data of more stores has been collected, including new and removed stores within a month.
- Online SKUs：Data of more SKUs has been collected, including new products and products removed from the shelves within a month.
- Sales Volume：Due to the collection of more SKU information (including products on and off the shelves within a month), the monthly sales volume data has increased significantly.
- Sales Revenue：Due to the increase in the number of SKUs and sales volumes, the data of monthly sales revenue has increased significantly; thanks to the higher frequency of collection, the price fluctuations during various promotional activities are fully considered (the price that can be reflected on the product page), which makes the sales revenue more accurate.
*Explanation of data deviations:
Although we have used the optimized collection method, there will still be some data deviations:
- Accuracy of sales volume: Since the collection is affected by the rapid removal of some products, the sales volume can still be slightly lower than the actual situation.
- Accuracy of sales revenue: The prices collected by multiple products may not reflect the actual average transaction price of the products; information such as platform discounts and store coupons cannot be collected on the public product page.
The overall data accuracy is 90%, and some brands may have large deviations. Please be cautious when using the data.