China Health Supplements Market Data Pack - March 2023
Each month, TMO Group compiles data from Alibaba’s family of eCommerce platforms (including Taobao, Tmall, Tmall Global, and Tmall Supermarket) regarding sales of health supplements both domestically and across borders. This data is presented in a form that’s easier for English-speaking overseas companies and individuals to approach, with an array of charts and tables as well as translated terms.
In the past March, the overall Health Supplement market has increased across the board. Sales were up 6% compared to February and 18% year-over-year. The number of newly opened stores increased by 13% month-on-month, and the number of new products increased by 20%. The number of products was almost the same as that of last year’s Double 11. It can be seen that new overseas merchants are actively entering the market and have not been affected by the overall domestic business environment. After all, maintaining health is everyone’s lifelong pursuit, and it is also the general trend in the later stage of medical insurance reform.
March 2023 Highlights
The top four products in the sales revenue list are all Omega 3 products that focus on krill oil. As an Omega 3 product, krill oil is richer in DHA and EPA, which reduces the fishy smell compared to fish oil, and is easier to absorb and rich in other nutrients. The disadvantage is that it is expensive and not environmentally friendly.
- The most common uses for krill oil are: Parents buy them for teens, support kids in school, help with brain health and enhance memory. Seeing that the college entrance examination is approaching, the mood of the parents is also reflected in the sales list. Another purchase purpose is for the cardiovascular health of the elders in the family.
- In the past, most people would buy deep-sea fish oil and fish oil, and the popularity of krill oil this time also shows that Chinese consumers are constantly deepening their knowledge of Omega3 ingredients. We expect that DHA-rich and ECO friendly plant-based algae oil will be accepted by everyone. If you are interested in Omega 3 industry report, pls click here for more information.
- In their categorization, 2 products are listed in Endocrine nutritional supplements > Blood sugar regulating food, while the other 2 products are listed in Cardiovascular nutritional supplements > Fish oil/deep-sea fish oil. Although it is a bit illogical to put the Omega 3 products into Blood sugar category, however it is a strategic matter to choose which category to display products. If you are interested, download the copy and check out how brands make their product stand out.
Nutrition facts of this month’s best selling products:
- In the top 5 products by sales volume. probiotics, glucosamine hydrochloride, B420, Lactobacillus, Lactobacillus salivarius AP-32 1.5 billion, Lactobacillus johnsonii MH-68 1.5 billion, Lactobacillus rhamnosus F-1 1.5 billion are common nutrients.
- Among the products with high sales revenue, stem cells, nicotinamide mononucleotide, β-nicotinamide mononucleotide supplement NAD+, spermidine, resveratrol, collagen, small molecule hyaluronic acid, gamma aminobutyric acid, blueberry extract, etc. These ingredients related to anti-aging and beauty are among the top nutritional ingredients.
The top 5 popular effects of this month:
Enhanced resistance, smooth breathing, improved resistance, healthy blood lipids, improved immunity.
This data pack includes:
- Analysis of the month’s trends and biggest winners
- The month’s best-selling products
- Sub-category market share
- Market share by price range
- Most popular brands
- Brand price distribution
- Best-selling product characteristics
Who are these data packs intended for?
These data packs are designed to assist researchers, data analysts, product development professionals, business decision makers, and anyone involved in strategic planning at overseas health supplements companies, or entities and individuals interested in this area. By keeping up with each month’s shifts in sales and consumer behavior, such experts can get a more firm grip on the trends and shifting attitudes in China’s growing and increasingly competitive health supplements market.
For more information, download this month’s data pack today!
As well as our monthly data packs, we also put together a comprehensive guide to the health supplements industry in China, updated annually and available absolutely free right here.
Data upgrade notification:
In order to bring better content to readers, starting from the monthly Datapack in March 2022, TMO has optimized and adjusted the data collection methods used in the report. You will see that while the overall market structure remains unchanged, the sales data have increased to varying degrees compared with previous data packs. This is due to the higher frequency and larger volume of data collection, which effectively improves the aggregated results for the following fields:
- Stores：Data of more stores has been collected, including new and removed stores within a month.
- Online SKUs：Data of more SKUs has been collected, including new products and products removed from the shelves within a month.
- Sales Volume：Due to the collection of more SKU information (including products on and off the shelves within a month), the monthly sales volume data has increased significantly.
- Sales Revenue：Due to the increase in the number of SKUs and sales volumes, the data of monthly sales revenue has increased significantly; thanks to the higher frequency of collection, the price fluctuations during various promotional activities are fully considered (the price that can be reflected on the product page), which makes the sales revenue more accurate.
*Explanation of data deviations:
Although we have used the optimized collection method, there will still be some data deviations:
- Accuracy of sales volume: Since the collection is affected by the rapid removal of some products, the sales volume can still be slightly lower than the actual situation.
- Accuracy of sales revenue: The prices collected by multiple products may not reflect the actual average transaction price of the products; information such as platform discounts and store coupons cannot be collected on the public product page.
The overall data accuracy is 90%, and some brands may have large deviations. Please be cautious when using the data.